Monday, June 29, 2009

Homemade Bubbles

I have been saving a recipe for homemade bubbles from a really neat book that a friend gave me for a baby gift years and years ago. Today I made a batch for the first time. I was already not a fan of the store bought ones. I didn't like how the wand would always fall inside the bottle and it was often hard to get it out, the whole who is going to be blowing the bubbles battle, and how most of the bubble solution could be gone from the quickest spill.

The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of corn syrup, 2 cups of dish soap, and 5 cups of warm water whisked together in a bowl. I decided to make half that amount, and in couple of minutes I had a giant bowl of bubble solution ready to go. I went outside with the boys to try it out. We dipped our wandless hands into the water and I made an O shape with my hand to blow bubbles out of. The boys had a little trouble with this, but I'm sure they can learn to do the same. We have a bunch left over to try again and again.

I am not sure who had more fun with this, me or the boys. It made me feel more like the Martha Stewart-y mother I had dreams of being :). I feel like I'm moving out of the baby years, and I can tell it's getting easier for me to do things like this, and to get more done around the house, and to make dinner before James gets home. There's a little baby left in Reuben, though, and I sure am treasuring it!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

So Ramonaish - LOVE IT!! :)

Katherine said...

how fun! :) I have a big stack of fun things like that I want to try, but can't seem to find the time / motivation to do them! :(

Blog Archive